FloSports is looking for a passionate copy editor to help polish and bring clarity to our web content while maintaining the unique style and voice that have become synonymous with FloSports. We are looking for an editor with a keen eye for detail who enjoys perfecting writing, loves playing a vital role in publishing extraordinary content, and wants to encourage writers with constructive feedback.
This person will take on prioritized editing tasks across all of our sports verticals related to:
Quality assurance – Refine content to ensure excellence and consistency; check for spelling, grammar, syntax, and flow; and ensure the tone, message and style represent the FloSports voice.
Editing and feedback – Act as the initial copy reviewer to ensure quality and consistency before publishing and/or final review.
- Be respectful of the writer’s style and voice while also being firm in enforcing the company style guide.
- Check text to ensure it is well written and logically structured.
- Correct grammar and spelling errors.
- Check facts and raise queries with the author.
- Be alert to any potential legal problems in the text—such as libel and copyright violations—and discuss them with the author and editorial management.
- Check images to ensure that captions are correct.
- Compose headlines for each article that draw the reader in and also follow best practices for SEO.
- Be mindful of article word count and fine-tune text to ensure it is engaging.
- Consistently balance deadlines with quality.
- Has a minimum of four years of experience as an editor in print or digital journalism.
- Is a self-starter who is capable of managing a heavy workload and who has excellent time management skills.
- Is reliable, creative, and in possession of a strong work ethic.
- Has experience editing breaking news, features and projects as well as social media and web productions.
- Understands best practices for web writing, including SEO tactics.
- Has solid communication skills and experience working on a cross-functional team.
- Has solid news journalism experience and news judgment.
- Has a solid understanding of social media platforms and their usefulness.
- Has a strong command of English grammar and excellent organizational skills.
- Is familiar with HTML as well as AP style, The Chicago Manual of Style or The New York Times stylebook.
- Has familiarity with major Internet search engines and fluency in electronic news-gathering techniques, including quickly navigating the Internet.
- Has knowledge of a broad array of sports.
FloSports is a direct-to-consumer, subscription-based sports media company located in Austin, Texas. Through live streaming of premier events, original video programming, and weekly studio shows, FloSports is unlocking a world of sports coverage that true fans have been waiting for. Current verticals under the FloSports header are Wrestling, Track, Grappling, MMA, Elite Fitness, Boxing, Softball, Gymnastics, Basketball, Volleyball, Tennis, eSports, and Cheerleading.