FloSports, a direct-to-consumer subscription-based sports media company, is currently looking for a Senior Front End Engineer to join our expanding team.
At FloSports, you will be joining the Software and Events team to create live immersive experiences that impact millions sports fans. You will have the opportunity to write scalable and maintainable code for large sports media sites.
- Work with our team of engineers, DevOps, designers, and quality assurance to create dynamic and interactive web applications based on the latest front end technologies such as AngularJS, TypeScript, LESS/SASS, and Node. As a front end engineer you will be expected to have a mastery of responsive design techniques to create compelling experiences for live content from iPhone to tablets to laptops, desktops on up to televisions.
- You will work with our backend technologies and APIs to deliver performant and scalable web applications based on Amazon Web Services stack and other cloud service providers. This position will also have the opportunity to contribute to bringing mainstream media quality graphics and business logic to our live streaming productions.
- Familiarity with best practices and standards for UX across a broad range of devices. Should thoroughly understand and execute concepts such as mobile-first, progressive enhancement, graceful degradation, adaptive and responsive design--and know the differences between each.
- You should have a mastery of HTML5 and CSS3. And you should feel like the world before CSS pre-procressors like LESS and SASS was a sad, dark place to live.
- You should know jQuery like the back of your hand and have a love affair with a handful of your favorite libraries. It’s less an issue of precisely which ones and is more that you feel passionately enough about tools to sing their praises.
- The concept of client-side MVC type frameworks like AngularJS, Vue, Knockout, Ember, React, and Backbone should thrill you and you should know at least one thoroughly--ideally that one being Angular 2+.
- Proficient in consuming and building RESTful APIs with JSON and CRUD.
- PHP familiarity and experience with modern PHP frameworks such as Symfony, Silex, and Laravel.
- Knowledge of writing efficient queries MySQL and indexing strategies.
- Building applications with NoSQL databases such as Mongo, Couch, DynamoDB and especially Firebase. Know when these solutions are appropriate and their pluses and minuses versus relational databases.
- Have written and appreciate the importance of unit and functional tests, but don’t get too freaked out when we don’t have perfect test coverage or let it get in the way of hitting timeline goals.
- Believe there is nothing more beautiful than elegantly written code, but also recognize it might not be perfect on its first pass. Instead know that through micro refactoring you should leave it better than you found it each time you touch it.
- Think on your feet, be able to work independently or on a team, and have great passion for technology and creating an amazing product.
- Amazon Web Services or equivalent cloud experience. We use the full Amazon alphabet soup: EC2, S3, ELB, RDS/Aurora, ElastiCache, SNS, SES, EBS, SQS, CloudWatch, CloudFront, RedShift, VPC, Route53, ElasticTranscoder, DynamoDB, Lambda, and API Gateway. And we love it!
- Source control experience like GitHub.
- Not intimidated by the Linux command line.
- Cache technologies like Redis, Varnish, Memcache or similar key-value stores or reverse proxies.
- Other languages, software and platforms that could potentially prove helpful: Objective C, Swift, Java, VB.NET, ExtJS, Docker, Bower, Gulp, OAuth, nginx, networking, DNS, CDNs, Wowza, video encoding/transcoding, HLS and RTMP streaming.
- Other buzzwords we like: LEAN, Agile, MVP, A/B Testing, blue green deploys, continuous integration, BDD, API-First, and OTT.
FloSports, the innovator in live digital sports and original content, partners with event rights holders and governing bodies to unlock a world of sports coverage that true fans have been waiting for. Through live streaming of premier events, original video programming, and weekly studio shows, FloSports is growing the sports, the events, the athletes, and the fans. Current verticals under the FloSports header are Basketball, MMA, Football, Wrestling, Track, Gymnastics, and more.