FloSports is seeking to hire an Assistant Editor to contribute to Varsity TV and FloCheer.
The Assistant Editor is an idea-generator and all-around cheer and dance content expert who makes sure all stories and content are best in class and relevant to cheer and dance athletes, coaches, and fans. They’re plugged into the community and on top of breaking news and leads to cheer- and dance-related stories.
The ideal candidate is a passionate subject matter expert who is excited at the prospect of crafting all types of cheer and dance content.
- Conceptualize, create, and develop quality web content, both written and video, around key athletes, personalities, schools, and programs.
- Travel to events to provide compelling on-site written and video coverage, including but not limited to interviews, recaps, analysis, and features.
- Lead and participate in content meetings and provide detailed feedback on audience engagement and experience.
- Handle multiple projects around general content, subscription, and sales initiatives. Deliver required assets on deadline.
- Keep abreast of the current and developing storylines to stay ahead of the competition.
- Ensure that all content complies with our unique brand and style guidelines.
- Identify and leverage influencers on social media to maximize our content distribution and reach.
- Understand best practices in content development across devices, channels, and mediums.
- Travel to produce documentary series on the major athletes, programs and teams, and personalities in cheer.
- Work very closely with the Varsity Spirit marketing team.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must be an expert on cheer and dance and have your finger on the pulse of the community.
- Superior written and verbal communication, grammar and proofreading skills. Good listener.
- Thrive on being the first to break a story and out scoop other media organizations.
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills. Proven ability to collaborate and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Possess critical thinking and analytical and creative talent to develop a concept, idea, fact, or content into a strong visual presentation on tight deadlines.
- Must understand the value of leveraging social media to promote content and drive traffic. Know the right levers to pull to increase the visibility of content on social media.
- Thrive on developing new ideas, and be excited to execute them.
- An undergraduate degree in journalism, communications, online/multimedia or related field.
- Must work from FloSports headquarters in Austin, Texas.
- Highly organized, self-motivated and adaptable to change.
- Knowledge of HTML, photo editing tools (e.g. Photoshop, Pixelmator) and MS Office.
- Knowledge of AP Style preferred.
- Knowledge of video editing tools (Final Cut, Premier, Avid) preferred.
FloSports, the innovator in live digital sports and original content, partners with event rights holders and governing bodies to unlock a world of sports coverage that true fans have been waiting for. Through live streaming of premier events, original video programming, and weekly studio shows, FloSports is growing the sports, the events, the athletes, and the fans. Current verticals under the FloSports header are Basketball, MMA, Football, Wrestling, Track, Gymnastics, and more.